Miles Mathis' Charge Field
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Possible Charged Particle Field

4 posters

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next

Go down

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Empty Re: Possible Charged Particle Field

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:45 pm

Something else I did last night was an attempt to reduce the horrible converging triangles at the poles of the particle geometry. You can see it clearly in the pic of a proton above (red particle), where-as the green neutron has less variance near the poles as that pic was taken after I made the change. I think it looks a lot better. At least it doesn't look like a gaping butt-hole after dinner at Taco Bell. Shocked
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

http://www.nevyns-lab.com

Back to top Go down

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Empty Re: Possible Charged Particle Field

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:46 pm

So that looks like the command-line GIT is working fine. You didn't have to enter in your username/password either by the look of it. Restart SourceTree and try again from in there.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:53 pm

Nonsense, those particles are beautiful. The first thing I thought when I saw your images above was - those particles look like that fruit that smells like gym socks, the Darian fruit. Or like the seed of the American Sycamore - as a kid I called them itchy balls, and if you hit someone hard enough the seed ball would explode. It bothers the heck out of me that I haven't named them yet - like little Mourning Stars.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 11, 2018 9:57 pm

A fruit that smells like gym socks? How did anyone find out it was edible? Starvation, not even once!
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:09 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Workin10
The console Fetch worked. I see that there are 7 Commits to Pull. When I tried to Pull, I received the above.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:14 pm

I think you probably should just delete the local repository and clone it from GIT again. It looks like it has got its knickers in a knot and I'm not sure how to get out of it.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 11, 2018 10:43 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Mustlo10
It won't let me clone. I never entered a password until I tried to comply with the message and log into bitbucket.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:03 pm

Are your credentials still in SourceTree. Check the Authentication tab in the Options. Maybe reset your passwords in there, if you have anything in there, that is. There are a few sections for Saved Passwords, if you open them up and press the Edit link, it should prompt you to enter the password again.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:13 pm

On the Options -> General tab, the first checkbox is for a setting with the label 'Allow Sourcetree to modify your global Git and Mercurial config file', Mine is checked, so make sure yours is too. Maybe that is stopping Sourcetree from being able to save the passwords or something. I don't know. It's a bit of a stretch.

Maybe switch back to the Embedded GIT, shutdown Sourcetree, restart and switch to System GIT and restart Sourcetree again.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 11, 2018 11:40 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Localr10
- I edited/checked my password.
- I verified the checkbox "Allow Sourcetree to modify your global Git and Mercurial config file', is checked.
- I don't know how to switch between the System or embedded GIT.
- I've restarted and rebooted several times.
- I suppose the above shows the CPIM clones that I've 'lost' over time. The master 151 is my first peep. Might one of those be an item with the same key?
- I guess I can always rename the GIT folder back - to the 7 pull behind.
- I added to my question at the community, now I have more to share if a support guy answers.
- Thanks Nevyn. I'm about burnt out, Let's call it a day.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:22 am

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Status10
I renamed/restored my GIT folder and pulled your latest commits with the terminal. The windows GUI still provides all the status and staging information, and may still work for commits - I'll find out soon enough. Sorry for the interruption, with your help I'm sure I'll get this all straightened out eventually, for the time being I'll be performing all Fetches, Pulls, and Pushes with the terminal.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 12, 2018 4:35 pm

What a pain.

You mentioned earlier that there was part of the System GIT install that you didn't understand. What was that? Maybe it has something to do with your problems.

I just pushed a small change that adds in a check for overlapping particles and moves them. This is done before any calculations are made for that frame. It isn't perfect, but it seems to be working okay.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Fri Oct 12, 2018 6:52 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Twolin10
Nevyn. I just pushed a small change that adds in a check for overlapping particles and moves them.
Airman. Good, can’t wait. Now we need to be able to study collisions more carefully. It goes in line with my latest thinking – offset collisions. I spent time earlier today formalizing a collision set that should result in predictable, post collision trajectories.

Nevyn. You mentioned earlier that there was part of the System GIT install that you didn't understand. What was that? Maybe it has something to do with your problems.
Airman. The 2.19 install was straightforward. I just went with the defaults, including the configuration mgr settings. I don't know the difference between System GIT or embedded GIT – or how to change between them.

Nevyn. Maybe switch back to the Embedded GIT, shutdown Sourcetree, restart and switch to System GIT and restart Sourcetree again.
Airman. I don't understand your "maybe switch" directions. The first time I read it - put me into a comatose state. Strange reaction reaction eh? I'm happy to follow your suggestions - when I understand them.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 12, 2018 7:38 pm

Airman wrote:I don't understand your "maybe switch" directions. The first time I read it - put me into a comatose state. Strange reaction reaction eh? I'm happy to follow your suggestions - when I understand them.

The 'maybe' just means 'I don't know if this will work, but it is something to try'.

To switch between Embedded and System GIT, you just press the button with the appropriate label (in Options -> GIT). If the Embedded button is enabled, then you are using a System GIT, so press it and it will change back to the internal GIT that comes as a part of SourceTree. Then they will change so that Embedded is disabled and System is enabled, so you can press System and it will change back to the installed GIT separate from SourceTree. I think restarting SourceTree after each change is a good idea to know that it has loaded up with whichever one is selected.

More collision scenarios sounds good. You might want to disable Gravity and the Ambient Field to ensure that the collisions are predictable.

I've been thinking about some Gravity scenarios too. Setting up some neutrons that will all fall in towards each other and see how that works out. I'm not convinced the current collision math will work as I expect it to.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 12, 2018 8:55 pm

Added a Gravity scenario group containing 3 scenarios that differ by the distance that the particles start at. It is based on a hosohedron algorithm, but includes some randomness so that the particles do not form nice even circles. This avoids multiple simultaneous collisions which can cause large velocities.

The math did work mostly as I expected. I wanted all of the particles, well most of them, to form a ball. The forces are a bit large, so the particles bounce around a lot. If I reduced the force of gravity then they should be able to come to rest on each others surfaces and they will arrange themselves into the smallest possible shape. I've scene that before when I first built an app to mimic expansion. So I was hoping we would get to something similar.

I have even seen some particles that seem to orbit the others. It isn't a nice clean orbit, but close enough. Doesn't always happen though.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:25 pm

No, no, maybe is fine, it's going between Embedded and System GIT that was my main mental hangup. Now your instructions make sense, thank you. There may be a delay at my end due to etcetera, etcetra.

Please remain on the main for the time being. When I last used my terminal, I Fetched, and Pulled what were the last 4 of your commits ending with Code cleanup. This time however, exceptions were encountered and the requests were cancelled.  I was asked for my user and password info for each request (a single session of two actions). After good waits, each requests was completed. The information age.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Finish10
Since there are no other surfaces in the universe, we are forced into banging particles together. Can an Unmoveable be a stationary target? How do you propose to demonstrate gravity? I know, I'll do another Fetch and Pull and see for myself.

Unless I'm mistaken, the new collision separation step is currently in effect - the view on top, and NO collision separation is shown in the bottom image. The charge points are left off to prevent cheating. It appears that if the top view (current model) shows an improvement, it's an incomplete one. Is it a fair test? Maybe something a little more creative, like parallel trajectory collisions (or otherwise) aimed at a particle's target map set - the collision analog of the charge point configuration. Just thinking.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 12, 2018 9:54 pm

I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in those images. There aren't any collisions. Are they taken after the collisions have occurred and I should be looking at the position of the sphere relative to the box that it is in?

The algorithm I wrote is too simple and in the wrong place to be effective. This should be done in the collision code, but I have done it outside of all interaction code so that I can do it before any interaction code is executed so that they see the updated positions and not the old, overlapped, positions. I will make it a bit smarter, which will involve copying some of the collision code, so that it applies the position adjustments correctly.

What it is currently doing, is looking for an overlap, and if it finds one, it just moves both particles back by half the distance that they are overlapped.

What it should do, is look at the relative velocity of each particle, and move them back along that trajectory, and only as far as their own velocity dictates. It should determine the relative strength of each velocity so that the larger velocity moves back the furthest. Effectively rewinding time.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:03 pm

I checked those collision scenarios and they didn't change as a result of the overlap fix. That is because you already fixed them a week of so ago when we went over the maximum velocity math. You might want to revisit that code and see if you can raise the max velocity limit now. If so, how far?

The new gravity scenarios are great. You can just sit and watch them for ages. The neutrons form into a ball and it gains spin (the ball, not the neutrons) and it bubbles up like a pool of lava.

https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/cpim/test.html?cp=1&rnd=0&scenario=Gravity.Close&graphics=n,n,n,y,y,n
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Fri Oct 12, 2018 10:15 pm

Nevyn. I'm not sure what I'm supposed to be seeing in those images. There aren't any collisions. Are they taken after the collisions have occurred and I should be looking at the position of the sphere relative to the box that it is in?
Airman. Yes, the target grid shows the 'perfect' post collision position, 2*pRadius away - in the direction of the expected oncoming head-on collision.

You may recall my collision code originally contained separating overlapping particles. There's a diagram on the Boid string that goes along with it.
Code:
if( distance < sumRadii ){
 // Interpolating the collision contact point using the
 // boid's velocityVector. Use y = mx + b

var velocityVector = new THREE.Vector3();
 velocityVector.copy(boid.velocity);

var boidPositionTwo = new THREE.Vector3();
 boidPositionTwo.copy(boid.position);

var boidPositionOne = new THREE.Vector3();
 boidPositionOne.copy(boid.position);
 boidPositionOne.sub(velocityVector);

var velocityVectorLength = velocityVector.length();

var posOneDist = boidPositionOne.distanceTo(this.position);
 var posTwoDist = boidPositionTwo.distanceTo(this.position);

//var slope = deltaY/deltaX;
 //var deltaY = posTwoDist-posOneDist;
 //var deltaX = velocityVector.length();
 var slope = (posTwoDist-posOneDist)/(velocityVector.length());

var newVelVecLength = (sumRadii-posOneDist)/slope;

// This next part is pulled from this.move, with slight differences
 ///////////////////////////////////////////////////////////////

// var mag2 = moveVecToContact.length();
 var frameBreak = newVelVecLength/velocityVectorLength;
 velocityVector.multiplyScalar(frameBreak);

var collisionPoint = new THREE.Vector3();
 collisionPoint.copy(boidPositionOne);
 collisionPoint.add(velocityVector);
 boid.position.copy(collisionPoint);
 //boid should be in position.

var thisHereVelocity = new THREE.Vector3();
 thisHereVelocity.copy(this.velocity);
 //thisHereVelocity.normalize;
 //thisHereVelocity.multiplyScalar(frameBreak);
 this.position.sub(this.velocity);
 this.position.add(thisHereVelocity);
 //this particle should be in position.

This talk about gravity - I won't be able to work on any new scenario configurations till I review your latest.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:04 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Gravit10
I usually like to deliberate and carefully consider what I say next, otherwise I may be incoherent. Your gravity scenario configurations are gobsmacking. They do indeed move about in a most fascinating manner.

Most incredible, I see NO overlapping particles! The mass of neutrons remain in motion while remaining clustered close together.

My only criticism – we know the hoso configuration’s poles naturally form large pockets of particles even before the sphere of neutrons falls together. Gravity quickly pulls lattice 01 together nicely too. Does this gravity have unlimited range? All scenarios must be checked.

Repeat! I see NO overlapped particles!

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 12, 2018 11:30 pm

I hesitated for about 3 seconds before deciding to go with the hosohedron arrangement. Only because I can code it up quickly. Your Sphere scenarios can be copied into the Gravity group and altered to work with only neutrons. I'll get it working with the new equidistant algorithm soon.

Yes, gravity does not discriminate. All particles feel gravity from all others. I changed that this morning. I thought it already worked like that, but I found that it was being limited to the particles within the ambient charge field limit. Probably something I was experimenting with and left in there by accident.

I changed the anti-overlap code to take the velocity of the particles into consideration and it is working beautifully. It is a difficult thing to test, but the gravity scenarios cause lots of collisions in tight spaces, so I think it's working correctly.

Site updated too.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sat Oct 13, 2018 2:57 am

Added a new CollisionForce that adds the spin caused by the collision. It does not currently take the existing spin into consideration. I basically treat the collision point like a charge point and calculate the spin in the same way. The force calculation is not quite right at the moment. Works well enough though.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sat Oct 13, 2018 8:45 am

Created a new class called Boundary that defines an interface for redirecting particles back inside of a sphere. There are 3 implementations of it that create a Soft, Hard and a Portal boundary.

The HardBoundary will bounce a particle off of the sphere.

The SoftBoundary will apply a force towards the center of the sphere, the further outside of the boundary the higher the force.

The PortalBoundary will leave the particles velocity as-is, but transport the particle to the opposite side of the sphere.

You can enable/disable a visualization of the boundary, if one is being used.

I have not created a way for the user to set the boundary type or if one is to be used. The scenarios will define that. To do so, you just set the applyBoundary property of the MotionEngine class like this:

Code:

engine.applyBoundary = true;

You can also set the radius of the boundary like this:

Code:

engine.boundaryRadius = 1000;

It is currently turned on by default, but that will change soon. The default radius is 100.

You can set the type of the boundary like this:

Code:

PIM.BoundaryType = PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_SOFT;
or
PIM.BoundaryType = PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_HARD;
or
PIM.BoundaryType = PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_PORTAL;

I might change that to be a property on the engine.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Sat Oct 13, 2018 3:20 pm

Quick review.
Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Lattic10
Gravity's effect on Lattice 01, the model's 'large scale'.

Gravity? Well, I’d heard that before. You recently corrected the “fail to apply gravity to other than the closest nearby particle” error. Surprise, I didn’t expect such a fine display of gravity; and orbital motion. The neutron clustering was (I say was because you've already improved them further) very interesting and stable. Noticing my attention, my wife looked, was duly amazed, and said they needed spin. You quickly obliged with spins and spin collisions. I spent plenty of time wondering how charge interaction gives way to collision then back to charge interaction, adding a rudimentary spin helps tremendously. The clusters are much more natural.

Previously, in the Randoms and Lattice 02, etc., all neutrons would eventually leave, often overlapping, then bursting apart at velocity to depart our local volume of space. In my opinion, the ‘overlapping particle’ error was our Bug 01; I’m looking hard, and the particles do seem a bit little sticky at times, but I must say, congratulations for getting rid of the problem.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Gravit11
Gravity's effect on 6 point Spherical 01, the 'small scale'.

Your Gravity scenario group involves large numbers of particles. Gravity can easily be demonstrated with as little as 2, 3, or 4 particles. For example, I believe there is an ‘understanding’ that the 3-body orbital problem is unstable and unsolvable; but not for the charge field, where we know it can be easily demonstrated. 4 particles can be widely separated or close together. Each particle is exchanging positions with its opposite, swinging past each other as the partners slowly change over time. I thought I might find a four group if I launched the 6 point spherical, the only difficulty is the need for a totally separate proton trajectory – the proton just blows the neutrons apart when it comes close. A couple of tries, and there it was. Give the four particles some common velocity and they begin to interact. Even with the proton present, the Sphericals make good gravity demos.  

Thanks for making the particle chamber – the boundary. No more evaporation deaths for our scenarios; on the other hand, all particles with escape velocities keep coming back. I suppose it’s arguable whether it’s justified on any physical grounds, but I think it will be more appreciated over time. I see that if the chamber is too small, it becomes part of the scenario. For example, given the boundary, the Collision group is wonderfully broken – 03 especially, including constantly increasing energy. Please don’t fix it just yet, let me mess with it first. I noticed you added Offset Collision Tests (with and without spin) 05 and 06. I want to work on collisions later today, but I'm nowhere near caught up. I feel obliged to review a bit more and maybe stare for hours.

Please excuse the effusive praise, you deserve it. Great work. You’ve advanced the program quite a bit in the last day or two. Please try to sit back and appreciate the view. How difficult would it be to make a 3D version of this program?

P.S. *. And plenty of time tech supporting my sorry problems.

Last edited by LongtimeAirman on Sat Oct 13, 2018 4:18 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added P.S.)

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sat Oct 13, 2018 5:55 pm

I have made a few more changes. I added a new property to the Particle class, called isAlive, that provides a way to effectively destroy a particle. The Particle itself will remain, as there is no way to remove it from the ParticleArray since the MotionEngine never sees the array. However, it will not take part in any calculations and will be made invisible.

The reason for that: I created a new Boundary, called DestructionBoundary, that will destroy any particle that reaches the sphere.

Also created another Boundary, called StickyBoundary, that stops the particle at the edge of the sphere. This lets gravity take control of the particle and move it back towards the other particles.

I also moved all Boundary related code out of the ChargePointMotionEngine class and put it into the base class, MotionEngine. This allows all MotionEngine implementations to make use of boundaries.

I think the reason some particles appear to stick together is because of gravity and/or the ambient field. Note that I have turned off the ambient field in the gravity scenarios.

There is no physical justification for using a Boundary, but it can be beneficial at times. I will set the size of the boundary to be much larger by default, but I wanted to show them off before I relegate them to the background.

It is actually very easy to get a 3D version of the app running. That statement did make my head spin at first. It is already a 3D application, but then I realised you meant like a 3D movie. ThreeJS has a special camera, called StereoCamera, that can be used to create a 3D Anaglyph rendering. That uses the old Red and Blue (now Cyan) glasses you might remember from the 80's.

In order to use more modern 3D techniques, such as that used for Virtual Reality, you need 2 cameras, one for each eye, and you just render the scene through each camera and send them to the appropriate device. Not sure how to get that working in ThreeJS, but I think it is possible. I can deal with the rendering, but not sure how to send the frames to the device for each eye.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sat Oct 13, 2018 6:16 pm

I also changed how you set the boundary type to use. It is now a property of the MotionEngine, called boundaryType. The possible values for it are:

PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_SOFT
PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_HARD
PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_PORTAL
PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_STICKY
PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_DESTROY

So you can just set it in a scenario like this:

Code:

engine.boundaryType = PIM.BOUNDARY_TYPE_STICKY;
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Sat Oct 13, 2018 11:00 pm

Still enjoying my review.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Line1c10
Collision Test 02. Yesterday I posted Collision Test 02 results - I mistakenly called them Test 01 results - above/below comparisons showing little to no improvement in collision ‘accuracy’ after your first effort at colliding/overlapped particle separation. The gif shows the same Collision Test 02 results are now ‘perfect’. One can see a little hiccup or irregularity - the particle popping back into position; it's explained by the next set of images.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Gifsti10
This group of six gif stills (sampling at 30x a second) shows the large overlap that the collision overlap removal function has successfully removed.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Bounds10
I forgot to mention – the celestial sphere is awesome. Inside or out you know exactly where you are. It’s in perfect contrast with the particles and adds information to images. Anyway, I loaded Random 01 and let it go for a while. The boundary soon become a very large ‘particle’ of its own. Most of the particles shown outside the boundary are orbiting the outside of the boundary. I know, I know, that’s just plain wrong, still, I had to mention/point-it-out. For one thing, it shows increasing system energy.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Oct 14, 2018 2:15 am

Excellent analysis. Perfectly showing the overlap and its resolution.

Would I be correct to assume those particles were created outside of the boundary? Instead of moving from the inside to the outside and then getting stuck out there.

I have added a new menu for the user to select the boundary type and its radius. They are just too much fun for me to leave them in the hands of developers only. We can still set them in the scenarios, but the user can override them.

The boundaries should not increase the energy in the system. I am not saying that they don't, just that they should not, and I don't think that they currently do. Although I am a bit unsure about the elastic boundary (formerly called soft), which may be able to introduce small amounts of residual velocity depending on the trajectory of the particle. The hard boundary should not change the total energy. The portal boundary does not change the velocities at all. The sticky boundary actually saps energy from the system as it stops the particles in their tracks. The destruction boundary does the same by removing the particle altogether.

I think the energy increase is coming from the collisions when there are multiple particles colliding on the same frame. Occasionally I see a particle or 2 shoot out of a pack. Somehow the velocities don't stack correctly. Not really sure at the moment.

https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/cpim/test.html?cp=1&rnd=0&bnd=1&r=100&scenario=Gravity.Close&graphics=n,n,n,n,y,n,y
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Oct 14, 2018 3:59 am

Check this out for some weird awesomeness!

https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/cpim/test.html?cp=1&rnd=0&bnd=1&r=100&scenario=Gravity.Random%2005&graphics=n,n,n,n,n,n,y

Warning: May cause large numbers of computations.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Oct 14, 2018 7:42 pm

The problem of increasing energy comes from the forces themselves, too. Charged particles and ambient charge can be explained by the ambient field. Not seen in the model, but ever-present. Gravity, on the other hand, is pure creation of energy. All of the gravity scenarios just place the particles, they do not start with any velocity of their own, so all motion is caused by gravity.

Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:03 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Collid11
Collision Test 07.

I had to create a new collision scenario - Colliding Test 07 - before letting myself post again. I succeeded, but upon reopening, the linear array of particles with large separation distances exceeded the default boundary and caused a particle pile-up. No problem, I just expanded the universe slightly and the scenario operated properly. I need to re-read your instructions above to see if I can set the boundary limits from the scenario itself.

Your boundary types/radius is a fine addition. I'll need plenty more time to play with it. Of course if the user is bored or inquisitive enough, he/she might also play with it, using the boundary in non-physical, ‘unjustifiable’ ways. Oh well, the price of fun.

Would I be correct to assume those particles were created outside of the boundary?
Negative. The random 01 particles all began inside the boundary. Over time, more and more particles penetrated the soft boundary and took up orbits there. I’m overly concerned with energy balance, I’ll keep a close eye on it. Thanks for discussing it further, sounds like gravitational potential energy.  

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Oct 14, 2018 11:19 pm

I have made changes to most of the boundary classes to deal with particles that do not have a velocity. The first versions assumed that the particle had to travel out of the sphere, so they would have a velocity to work with. However, that is not the case when things are created outside of it, or they have a collision while outside.

I have seen particles moving straight out of the boundary and then colliding with another that puts the first onto an orbital trajectory. They can loop around quite a few times before sinking back in or colliding with another particle.

I've been thinking about creating a new Boundary class that increases the mass of a particle that exceeds the boundary. Just for fun. Imagine the PortalBoundary and every time a particle is transported, it gains mass. It could be a good way to test that mass is being used correctly in the math. But really, just for fun.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Oct 15, 2018 12:19 am

Imagine the PortalBoundary and every time a particle is transported, it gains mass. It could be a good way to test that mass is being used correctly in the math. But really, just for fun.
I won't understand that til I see it, why not try it.

I must point out that with the all the action taking place at the center of a sphere, all scenarios with high velocities tend to come back the spherical center – the universal focal point. Please consider an additional/alternative boundary shape, the cube. If space was cubic, then only the velocities perpendicular to the boundary walls would tend to come directly back. Using that fact, one may create particle streams out of transported particles in wraparound space in +/-X. +/-Y, or +/-Z directions. A big cubic space (wraparound optional) was my original presumed shape of the boundary space, I never imagined a sphere.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Oct 15, 2018 3:39 am

I initially thought I would create both a spherical and a rectangular boundary, but it was a lot easier to work with spheres than rectangular shapes. I still wrote the code trying to keep it neutral, so that it would work with both, but some of the implementations do rely on it being spherical.

I spent a bit of time working on a rectangular mechanism, but it makes things difficult. I'll see what I can do when I have a bit of time.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Oct 15, 2018 1:23 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Closen10
Not overlapped, just close.

I had to share this gif, an example of gravity and two close particles left after Lattice 03’s breakup. Previously, this pair would get closer and closer, merging/melding then bursting - aka Bug 01. Here, I observed several minutes of close interaction, their spinning changes as they interact – not entirely correctly. Nevertheless, I believe the particles are interacting in a natural way. They cannot separate without a collision by another particle.  

With respect to the boundary, a big difference between spheres and cubes/solid rectangles is spheres cannot fill all space. I believe that’s a practical problem here. I remember seeing some sphere partitioning that involved curved cubes/sphere algorithmic mapping last week. This may make cubic or rectangular space more ‘sphere-like’.  
SphereCube
http://www.sai.msu.su/~megera/wiki/SphereCube
SUMMARY
The quadrilaterlized spherical cube, or quad sphere for short, is an equal-area mapping and binning scheme for data collected on a spherical surface (either Earth data or the celestial sphere). It was first proposed by Chan and O'Neill in 1975 for the Naval Environmental Prediction Research Facility (Reference 1).

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Oct 15, 2018 8:08 pm

The recent spin update I did was only to add the spin caused by a collision. It does not calculate the interaction of the existing spins on the particles. In the above example, the particles should pass their own spin onto the other, ending with them both spinning about a common axis, but in opposite directions from each other. I will get to that at some point. I had a quick go at it a few weeks ago, but it didn't work in all situations.

While a cube geometry can contain more space than a sphere with the same diameter as the box is wide, in this case it is that geometry that defines space. There is no concept of filling all of space because the boundary sets the outer limit of what space is. But that isn't my problem anyway. Spheres are easy to deal with because you don't have to care about direction. The boundary of a sphere is always the same distance from the center as any other part of that boundary. You don't need to figure out which surface is being collided with and handle it appropriately. With a sphere, you just find the tangential plane at the point and that is your surface. A rectangular shape requires calculating which face of the geometry we are working with in a particular collision. It's just more math and more difficult to handle. Not impossible, just not as easy as a sphere.

Personally, I prefer spheres in most situations. Especially if it is to represent the boundary of a universe. I don't see how any natural boundary would be a rectangle. They might look cool with corner collisions and stuff, but they don't really represent nature very well.

Part of the problem at the moment is that the boundaries are 1) enabled by default, 2) set to a small size by default. That is just for the moment as it makes it easier to work with as a matter of testing. Now that I have added the URL parameters to specify the type and size of the boundary, it isn't really needed. I will change them later today and relegate them into the distance and turn them off by default. You can enable them in any particular scenario if you want to. Although I might need to make sure that the user selected boundary is applied instead of the scenario specified one.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Oct 15, 2018 9:31 pm

This is what counts as discussion. Don't go solving spins until we're good and ready.

Can we include a Pause button? Or Loop?

Thanks for all the details. As you must know by now, I like to throw ideas out there, usually making many wrong assertions. You know I just sound like I understand things better than I do. I think I’ll be happy with what we’ve got, but it seems I need to understand what we’ve got a little better.

Please excuse the expectation/confusion. Spherical space is a new idea to me, I'll get used to it. In fact, I think the celestial sphere should be a Graphic option whether the boundary is active or not. Anyway, more than cubic space or the spherical space’s center, I seized on the possibility of making portal-ed particles the ambient field. Please recall I asked whether we could create particles or a particle stream and you rightly said the program doesn’t operate that way. It seems to me particles making endless portal boundary crossings in a general direction are no different than a very regular particle stream. You mentioned giving boundary crossing particles additional mass, and we can define the boundary pretty much however we like (?) so we don't even need cubic space. What else can we change? It seems to me we can recycle  portal particles into a perfectly good source for the ambient field. Is that reasonable?  

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:57 pm

Yes, there is already code in there that can pause rendering. It just needs to be bound to a key and/or some button. I'll probably bind it to the space bar.

What do you mean by a loop? To be able to set the number of frames, or time, and then it resets all of the particles and starts again after that? That is feasible. I can easily add URL parameters to do it, but it will take a bit more effort to setup a UI for it.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Oct 16, 2018 12:31 pm

What do you mean by a loop?
Gifs - moving images - are extremely useful, but they are usually too big (>1M) to post. This program can do better than gifs, people could create their own motion studies - or verify what they think they just saw (?) - using the Loop function. See something interesting? Hit Pause (the spacebar) and go back the last 10, 15 or 20 seconds - or by using Reset, can I stop just before the moment of interest occurs, then begin a Loop?  I guess one could reset a clock on a given scenario to any point of time in the output (throwing out uninformed thoughts again). Would it be possible to save the scenario settings for a Loop file? Or to replay saved files? I'm not thinking of recordings or am I? Note, this is discussion, questions. If you’re motivated to make any changes great, otherwise, please don’t take this discussion as a bunch of requested taskings. You’re so creative, I'm a bit gun-shy, a random thought may cause you to rebuild the whole place again.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Oct 16, 2018 5:53 pm

I got around to unbreaking Lattice 03, 04 and 05 by excluding gravity and ambient charge as you indicated I should – oh, long ago. 01 and 02 are still quickly crushed and broken – good abject examples. In 03 I brought the neutrons back together showing spins close up. 04 just sits there spinning, the neutrons aren’t dropping, I wonder why? The neutrons still drop in Lattice 05 – 4 neutrons above 4 protons; but 05 now has a new problem, when the neutrons are half way down, resistance appears to be removed and the neutrons accelerate downward.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Neutso10
Neutrons stuck outside the hard boundary. Clearest with the group closest to the lower left hand corner.

I like the Gravity group’s new random choices. Unfortunately, there’s a problem with the random choices and the 100 unit radius hard boundary. Many neutrons were generated outside the boundary. There’s no problem with the 200 unit radius. Unless you indicate otherwise, I’ll clean that up tomorrow.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Tue Oct 16, 2018 7:38 pm

Hmm. Maybe I can get something like that working. Probably not exactly, because it isn't a movie where every frame is available at any time. What I can do is record the current state of all particles (just like it does for the reset action) at some point in time or some key press or some other action taken by the user. Then count the number of frames until some condition occurs (time elapsed or stop button pressed). Then it can loop between those points in time.

I could introduce stepping functionality, like an application debugger. Effectively allowing the user to step through frame-by-frame. You can't step backwards though. You can't go back to the previous frame.

I could save the current state of all particles to a file. Then load it back in and start the application. However, I will likely need some back-end services to do that, which means that I will have to use a server-side language like PHP. This will make it difficult for you to run it on your own system without setting up a server. There are some client-side tools I can use, but they are HTML5 specific, and the last time I tried to use them like this, they failed and crashed the page. Maybe browser support for these features has improved since then. I might create a new branch to work on that, just to keep it separate from the rest of the app.

When you disable gravity and the ambient field at the same time, then the old proton attractions (implemented in the charge profile) come into play again. Maybe that is what you are seeing and it behaves differently to what we expect now.

Don't fix the problem with particles being created outside of the boundary. That must be handled by the boundary implementations. I have code in there to deal with it (it generally just puts them at the boundary, or a little bit inside of it), but I don't think it is working perfectly. It does look like some particles get stuck rolling along the boundary. I can't tell if it is just a time issue, in that they need a bit of time before gravity starts to pull them inside of the boundary, or if it is something more serious.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Oct 16, 2018 10:41 pm

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Badcol10
Terrible results. Broken Offset Collision Test 07. Using stationary unmovable target particles – still at the grid. I could see the collision repositioning function as a vibration, resulting in small final unmoveable position changes, especially in the two closest to head-on-like collisions in the center of the array.

I love playing with functionality, setting-up shots and sharing the results. That’s why I’d like a Looping ability. But that may be asking for too much. Keeping it simple by adding common function buttons like Pause (“spacebar”), and Step (“stepping functionality(?)”), to the existing Reset and Reload, sounds like a better choice than the need for back-end services; File saving sounds like more difficulty than it’s worth.

There is indeed a time delay before the Gravity group’s random particles created outside the 100 unit radius boundary re-entered the Universe. All is well.  

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:16 am

I have implemented a time management system that allows you to start/stop the model and you can step through it, frame by frame. You can even mark a certain point in time and return to it, replaying the model from that previous point.

The following key events can be used:

KeyAction
spacetoggle between running and stopped
down arrowstop the model
up arrowstart the model
right arrowstep to the next frame
Entermark current point in time
left arrowreplay from mark
If you pause the model, then mark the current state, then step to the next frame: you can now move between the previous frame and the current frame by repeatedly pressing the left then right arrow keys.

I have created a new Boundary that works just like the PortalBoundary, but it creates a random position to teleport to and a random velocity to apply to the particle. This represents random loss and gain of particles from the environment while maintaining a constant number of particles. Not exactly natural, but a useful boundary.

Site is updated with all of the latest code: https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/cpim/test.html?cp=1&rnd=0&bnd=5&r=100&scenario=Gravity.Random%2005&graphics=n,n,n,y,y,n,y
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 18, 2018 12:06 pm

Zuper!  We can freely move about while motion is paused, easily stepping or looping - examining any item of interest in as much detail as we like. See how collisions work, each involves a small amount of particle overlap, then the overlapping particle pops back into place. Anyone can see for themselves better then any gif I can make. Or one can verify any detail we've discussed.
Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Colclo10
The two neutrons on the left just separated after a collision last frame.

Works perfectly. As usual, your implementation exceeded my imagination. The additional functionality is impressive.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:24 pm

But wait!

There's more!

If you call within the next hour, you'll also get slow down functionality!

That's right. You will be able to run the model at a reduced speed, without needing to step through it yourself. How convenient is that? No more fumbling around in the dark, trying to find the right key to press. Just sit back and watch the action at any one of 9, yes 9, speed settings!

Slow down functionality may be available even after the one hour promotion.

KeyAction
,slow down by 1 step
.speed up by 1 step
1 - 9set speed
The amount of slow down is set using a formula. The slowness factor is a number between 0 and 8 inclusive. That value is then used to find the number of frames to wait by finding 2^N, where N is the slowness factor. Then it calculates the modulus of the current frame count and that number. If that equals 0, then a new frame is rendered.

In mathematical form, a new frame is rendered when: ( frameCount % 2^N ) = 0.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 18, 2018 5:58 pm

Dang, I was whittling away at the edge of collision test 07; ready to talk about including user velocity choices. Then your latest - in all the excitement, I Fetched, Pulled and Pushed, and now I see I merged branches. I hope that's OK with you?

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Oct 18, 2018 7:12 pm

Nah, that was actually my fault. I didn't fetch before pushing my changes. All is well, no problems. It just looks a bit funky on the commit graph.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:52 pm

All is well, no problems.
Ah, wonderful. Even though I replied within the hour, I was worried whether I could keep the slow down functionality. Thanks.

I usually like chaos, while you tend to simplicity. Except with gravity, I believe my favorite scenario at this point is Gravity, Random 01 - it starts with 10 particles. I would like to suggest being able to select 2, 3, 4, 5, or other single digit up to 9 particles. I see the Gravity group already includes 8 buttons. Maybe a slider would work for 2-9 particles, and maybe another slider with 40 - 400 could replace four of the Random buttons.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 19, 2018 12:40 am

You can ask the user for input during the initialization function of a scenario. The simplest way to do that is to use the prompt function. You pass in a message for the user, and optionally a default value, and it will show a dialog box with the message and a control for them to enter in some text.

Code:

var count = prompt( 'How many particles would you like to create: ', 100 );
if( count != null )
{
   count = parseInt( count ); // make sure we have an integer
   count = Math.max( 10, Math.min( 300, count ) ); // make sure it is within reasonable bounds
}
else
{
   count = 100; // default value
}

Don't bug the user with a lot of prompts. If you have many things to ask, then it is better to use a custom dialog box. We can cross that bridge if/when we come to it.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Fri Oct 19, 2018 11:10 pm

I have created a Help dialog that provides information about the app such as the available options and the keyboard bindings. Added descriptions for boundary types, precision, etc.

Possible Charged Particle Field  - Page 9 Help-d10

I have imported Bootstrap to do the UI, so we can create some nice dialogs for user input if we want to.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 8 of 15 Previous  1 ... 5 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 11 ... 15  Next