Miles Mathis' Charge Field
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Atomic Modeling Language

4 posters

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next

Go down

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Empty Re: Atomic Modeling Language

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 07, 2019 2:30 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 P1thrp10
P1 thru P6.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 S1thrs10
S1 thru S6.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Jan 07, 2019 5:00 pm

Thanks, Airman, that's great.

Notice how the protons that have neutrons between them have a larger gap than those that do not? I'm wondering whether or not I should make that equal. It isn't really a problem, apart from S3, because the lone proton sits a little closer to the others and this breaks the symmetry.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

http://www.nevyns-lab.com

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 07, 2019 6:36 pm

It isn't really a problem, apart from S3, because the lone proton sits a little closer to the others and this breaks the symmetry.
I don’t see a problem. The lack of symmetry between the three protons in S3 may be due to the Neutrons, I wouldn't expect the protons to space 'perfectly' with the neutrons' present.  

Bug report. Entering the following two AML codes results in an erroneous display of just S6.
S6-S4-S2    // Only S6 is displayed
S6-P:N2:P3:N2:P-S3 // Only S6 is displayed

///////////////////////

Going over your notes, do you see any value in creating the following table:
<1-6>
List all types: E, N, P, S

E electron, N neutron(s), P proton(s), S includes p:n2:p groups
Example:
P = 1 proton
P3 = 3 protons
N2 = 2 neutrons
E = 1 electron
<->
List all operators: -
'  -  ' 90 deg link, '  :  ' creates a new level, ' <  ' begin, ' >  ' end,
' X  ' left/right, ' Y  ' North/ south, ' Z  ' ' Axial  or A '

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Jan 07, 2019 8:12 pm

That bug is what I was eluding to earlier. You can't enter in just a nuclear chain, because it is trying to interpret it as an atom. So the first stack is added as the core of the atom, but the rest gets chopped off (well, it is ignored). That's why I thought about adding a special character to the start of the expression that tells the parser to treat it as a nuclear chain, rather than an atom.

A picture of each particle would be good. Just proton, neutron and electron. You could do an image with electron groups, as you have the neutrons. It will be the same, but it may be worth using.

Apart from that, it is a bit hard to tell what I need at the moment. You could get an image from each link I have used in the descriptions above (only those with the special headings at the start of the post). I imagine that the posts above will be pretty close to the tutorial/specification.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 07, 2019 10:47 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Ne1thr10
N:E1 thru N:E6. Rows one and two are single layer electron configuration 'top views'; the third row is a 'side view'.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 N1thrn11
N1 thru N6, single layer configuration, top view.

Unless you indicate any corrections are in order, I'll work section heading images next.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Jan 07, 2019 11:30 pm

Hmm, it seems you can't have just electrons in an expression. I was thinking of exactly what you have for the neutrons, but with electrons, but I just tried it, and it generates an error. That's fine though. I can work without them. I might just use an image of a proton stack with electrons on either side. Something like E:P:N2:P:E.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:12 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 E_p5_e10
Another attempt at showing electrons. Here's E:p5:E1 thru E6: Again, rows one and two are single layer electron configuration 'top views'; the third row is a 'side view'. If I've violated the rules, please let me know and I'll try again.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Tue Jan 08, 2019 4:54 pm

It is probably better to use a proton than a neutron, since you are supposed to attach electrons to protons. I'm not sure what I will use at this point, but those images do look cool. The proton disc makes a good background.

I have created the basis of the spec, just by copying these posts into a HTML document and adding in some formatting. I haven't put any images in there yet, but have the placeholders in there, they just don't show anything because the images don't exist. It feels a bit more like a tutorial than a spec, so I might end up using it for that and create a more formal specification page. AML is a bit more complicated than MBL in some regards, since it has multiple levels, so a bit more explanation is needed. So maybe the current version will be fine. I'll try to add a bit more detail into some sections and see how it goes.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cr6 Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:23 pm

Really Cool!

I've been playing with it since last weekend. Ace work Nevyn and great debugging LTAM and Jared. This is a little more flexible in many ways than the Periodic table. If there was a decent configurable RestApi we could throw an Extension (home-built) from KNIME at it for datamining.
www.knime.org

Smile

Cr6
Admin

https://milesmathis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:57 pm

What would the REST API need to do? What does Knime do? I had a quick look at it, but I'm still not sure exactly what it would do for me if I used it. I guess your thinking of the machine learning aspect. That could be an interesting project. If you have any knowledge of that sort of stuff (cause I have very little), then maybe you could give an outline of what you would want it to do. I might be able to see how to help you then.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Wed Jan 09, 2019 5:42 pm

Nevyn, please excuse my efforts at ‘help’. I'm sure I've given you the perceived slight or two - unintentionally, of course. I’m a team player, getting the charge field out there is the primary goal.

With respect to the colored glossies, adding section images is easy as each section contains plenty of AML code to choose from. I can’t really help any further until you specify a few formatting details. For example, all the images I've shown are draft suggestions - none are final. They cannot be final until the desired images are recreated in the desired size.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 N1thrn12
Incremental improvement (?) (square panes) to the Neutron set, N1 thru N6 images.

Another, note N5 in the square pane Neutron set isn’t very accurate – the direction of the pentagon is a little off, in fact none of the polygons are oriented perfectly. I think they’re Ok for real screen captures of a rotating configuration with luck, Paint and my less than perfect eyeball, but it isn’t my decision. They can all easily be made more precise by adding an AutoCAD rotation - at no additional cost, if you wish.

I have created the basis of the spec, just by copying these posts into a HTML document and adding in some formatting. I haven't put any images in there yet, but have the placeholders in there, they just don't show anything because the images don't exist. It feels a bit more like a tutorial than a spec, so I might end up using it for that and create a more formal specification page. AML is a bit more complicated than MBL in some regards, since it has multiple levels, so a bit more explanation is needed. So maybe the current version will be fine. I'll try to add a bit more detail into some sections and see how it goes.

A spec HTML document! That sounds promising, what does it do? You make it sound reviewable, so I tried opening https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml/aml.html in Inspector Mode. That’s not something I normally do since I don’t know what the heck I’m doing. I see plenty of links to many source files – several of which I’m familiar, but none – as far as I tell, are openable or reviewable.

Really Cool!

I've been playing with it since last weekend. Ace work Nevyn and great debugging LTAM and Jared. This is a little more flexible in many ways than the Periodic table. If there was a decent configurable RestApi we could throw an Extension (home-built) from KNIME at it for datamining.
www.knime.org

Hey Cr6, I think AML is a proton/neutron/electron construction set that makes atoms and proton matter easier to understand. At the other end from understanding, Data Science and Machine Learning are well beyond my ken. Are you suggesting we give machines Nevyn's code, and let them start building proton matter structures?  Question  

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Wed Jan 09, 2019 6:02 pm

No slights perceived by me, and if I did, I would just assume it was not intended as such and try to interpret it a different way.

The positions of the neutron groups does not worry me. If you look closely, you will notice that the upper-left neutron is always in the same position. That is the starting position and the rest are arranged at set angles from that. I did choose that position for some reason, maybe just because I felt like it at the time, but I think there was something but I can't remember. Maybe it just looked better. Actually, I think it was to keep the neutrons away from other things, such as through-charge streams. We really only need 1 to 3, as Miles has never used more than 3 neutrons in a group. Those 3 arrangements work quite well, so I'm not worried about 4 to 6. If it bothers you, and I know that desire for symmetry well, then go ahead and rotate them. As long as it shows the right number of neutrons, then I am happy.

I haven't uploaded the spec yet, because it is not ready. If it was, and you can even do this now, you can just remove the filename from the URL to get to the parent page: www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml. That will contain links to the rest of the pages.

Note that the Inspector mode, or browser debugger, will only show you the files that the current page has downloaded. It will not show you the contents of the directory on the server, which you would need to see other pages.

I didn't do much work on AML last night. I did make some changes as I wanted to add a setting to stop the rotation of neutrons and electrons. This makes it much easier to capture an image and know what it will be. At the moment, it relies on when you press the capture button in the image dialog. I got that working, but didn't upload the changes.

That is because I got side-tracked on a new project that I will present soon. Another language, can anyone guess what that might be for?
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:59 pm

Airman, I forgot to mention the sizes of the images. It really depends on where they are used in the HTML document. The neutron group image looks about the right size for that content. Most images of a single AML expression will need enough size to show the element clearly. Maybe try exporting them at 480 and see how that goes. You might even be able to export them at 720 and then crop out a lot of the black areas.

Or, we use quite large images and I scale them down on the page, but each image is a link to the full sized version. If you find any that really want to be large, then don't hold back, just take them as you need to.

While this is quite dry content, see if you can get a bit creative and make the atoms look good. Sometimes the straight-on perspective is fine, other ones might want a bit of rotation to the atom, letting the insides become more visible.

It might be best just to get something done, then I can put them into the page and upload it. That will give you more of an idea of where the images are being used and you might see a better way to do some of them. Nothing is set in stone just yet. There is plenty of room for creativity, but we don't need to reach that level on the first attempt.

Really, anything you do is helpful and appreciated.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Thu Jan 10, 2019 7:55 pm

A little more to chose from:

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Epn2pe10
Another possible Particle view of one through six electrons. E:P:N2:P:E1 - E6.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Boron10
Boron. An example of a particle chain.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 P2vpn210
Improved "comparing the vertical difference between P2 and S2" option 1.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 P2vpn211
Improved "comparing the vertical difference between P2 and S2" option 2.

I'm happy with the settings page. The image saver works fine. My only gripe is, as previously mentioned, if we are limited by the view's vertical dimension, how can we reorient the desired image 90deg in order to fit the subject into the wider (longer) view dimension?

Funny, I've mentioned always using the print screen button - and finishing up in Paint. By some divine co-inky-dink, last night I received notice that Paint will shortly be moving to the Microsoft store, where it will be made available for free. I suppose it will no longer be bundled with Microsoft products. Time marches on.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Jan 10, 2019 10:27 pm

I've added a new setting to change the orientation of the atom. It is still vertical by default, but can be changed to horizontal in the settings dialog.

The electron images look good.

I prefer the first comparison between P2 and S2. I think it looks better with a common center rather than a common top, even though the latter shows the difference better. I'm still thinking about removing the difference by reducing the space taken up by the neutrons.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Sun Jan 13, 2019 10:34 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlang10
Here's a complete - I hope - Atomic Modeling Language reference chart. Please point out the mistakes.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Cr6 Mon Jan 14, 2019 2:11 am

Ace job guys...looks really cool and is really fast!!!

Cr6
Admin

https://milesmathis.forumotion.com

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Jan 14, 2019 5:38 pm

That's pretty good, Airman. A few things to change:

null - no stack in first attach position

This applies to any position, not just the first. Most times it makes no difference, but it does with the Carousel level, as it can have 4 items.

Separation of particles or stacks without a bond

This actually separates atoms, not particles or stacks.

Similarly with flip and rotate, they only work on atoms.

Link between stacks - to create chains of alternating directions - NOT WORKING

Chains like that are not meant to work in isolation. You can only use chains in the Axial and Carousel levels (and the equivalent X, Y and Z). Since an atom requires a single stack for its core, you can not use chains alone.

Maybe you could add some higher level structures to show how the different parts of the expression fit together. For example, the top level entity is a multi-nuclei or normal atom. A multi-nuclei atom contains multiple atoms. Each atom contains a core and several levels. Each level can contain nuclear chains. Each nuclear chain can contain particle chains (which the default stacks are a version of). Each particle chain can contain particles. Somehow show the hierarchy of entities. Maybe in its own chart. Maybe it can fit on this one.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:01 pm

I understand AML a little better now.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Baankr10
Improved(?) Atomic Modeling Language reference guide including multi-nuclei example.

More corrections are welcome, the result will be better for us all.

P.S. Ok, I cleaned it a little bit more.

Last edited by LongtimeAirman on Tue Jan 15, 2019 8:34 pm; edited 2 times in total (Reason for editing : Added P.S.)

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Tue Jan 15, 2019 9:17 pm

Nice, but I think we need to differentiate between atoms and nuclei. In this context, they are actually the same thing, but it will help to use the terms in different ways. The difference? An atom is an individual entity, it can be defined and rendered by an AML expression. A nucleus is an atom that is a part of a multi-nuclei atom. So, in essence, if an atom is being used in a multi-nuclei atom, then it is a nuclei. If it is being used on its own, then it is an atom.

Separation of atoms without a bond

should become: Separation of nuclei in a multi-nuclei atom

Similarly, the flip and rotate descriptions can use nuclei instead of atom.

I think it might be beneficial to create sections in order to see how certain operators only work in certain parts of an expression. This will probably satisfy what I mentioned at the end of my last post. Create a Particle Chain section, which contains both particles and particle chains, the : operator and multiplication groups. Then a Nuclear Chain section that contains default stacks (maybe put into Particle Chain section), the - operator and multiplication groups (yes, duplicate them). then create an Atom section that contains atoms and levels. Finally, create a Multi-nuclei Atom section for multi-nuclei atoms, ~, ! and ^ operators.

If you think it worth while, then create a Particle section first, then Particle Chain, etc.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Wed Jan 16, 2019 1:36 pm

Nevyn, I like your latest, opening AML - https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml/aml.html with a quick "How To", as well as a link to the Specification. https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml/spec.php. This is a great document. The 'reference sheet' seems a bit superfluous now; nevertheless, I'll try to expand it in accordance with the Specification, then you can decide to keep it or not.

One question - anomaly, sometimes the AML code results in off-center images, such as the 3 images in the the Specification, Multiplying within a Nuclear Chain section. I suppose it's just the view's y dimension calculation hasn't been completed sufficiently to accommodate the Nuclei Multiplication groups.   

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:40 pm

The offset images, I believe, are caused by using the arrow keys while editing the expression. Unfortunately, both the input text field and the controls for the camera hear the key events and respond to them. I have tried to fix it in the past, but no success. I shall try again. I was only thinking about that last night too.

As far as atom placement goes, all atoms are centered on their own axis. So even if you have uneven numbers of proton stacks on, say, the east and west, it will still be centered on the atom, not the size of it.

Your reference chart is still extremely valuable. The spec and the chart do different things. The spec is there for those that know nothing of the language and need to be shown how to build an expression. The chart is there for those that already know the language, but just need a quick reminder of the operators and structure. I might turn it into HTML though, rather than an image. That will make it more maintainable and flexible.

Last edited by Nevyn on Wed Jan 16, 2019 5:00 pm; edited 1 time in total
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Wed Jan 16, 2019 4:57 pm

Language Specification

I have created a specification for the language, although it reads more like a tutorial than a spec but I don't mind that. It is littered with images to show the structures as I present them.

If you look closely, you might notice that I have managed to generate nuclear chains without being a part of an atom. To do this, you can start the expression with either a - or a + character. These will both signal to the parser that it should treat the expression as a nuclear chain instead of an atom. It also sets a property on the chain that tells the visualizer that this is an axial or carousel chain. The difference is the orientation of the first stack (and all subsequent stacks).

To generate a carousel stack, use the - character: -S6-S4-S2

To generate an axial stack, use the + character: +S6-S4-S2

www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml/spec.php
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Jan 17, 2019 2:42 am

I added a couple of new sections to the spec about neutron and electron groups. I used your images, Airman, thanks for that. I also fixed a few errors and changed a few lines here or there, but nothing major. I think it is all looking good and am just about to launch it. Which means I need to think about some graphics for the front page, hmm, ...
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Thu Jan 17, 2019 7:57 am

..., and there it goes, sailing off into the world after the official launch. What places will it see? Who will it meet? Only time will tell.

www.nevyns-lab.com/
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Fri Jan 18, 2019 8:16 pm

..., and there it goes, sailing off into the world after the official launch. What places will it see? Who will it meet? Only time will tell.

www.nevyns-lab.com/
Oh no, I missed the boat.

These cheat sheets took longer than I expected, and I still need one or two.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlrs110

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlrs210

Bon voyage!

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sat Jan 19, 2019 4:33 pm

I think those new images make it a bit too busy. A bit squashed up. I preferred the 2nd version:

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Baankr10

It is cleaner. This is just a reminder about the language, so we don't need to go into too much detail about any particular tokens.

There is an error in the Stack direction section:

Y An axial direction <A -Y, +Y>

Should be <A +Y, -Y>

Some of them are also inconsistent with each other, so C uses X+, X- but Y uses +Y, -Y.

I like the separation into sections. We do seem to have lost the multi-nuclei atoms though. I assume you are working on another image for those, since they wouldn't fit onto the last one.

In order to reduce clutter, have a think about removing a lot of the images and only using 1 per section, probably at the title of that section. Basically just a reminder of what that section contains. I liked the multi-nuclei atom image you first added. That worked well and was necessary because it is a complicated topic. Showing each proton stack is not really needed for a cheat sheet. The top-right corner image on the first sheet in your last post is good and I think doing the same for the other sections will work well.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Sun Jan 20, 2019 6:55 pm

I tried to provide an alternative last time, two of three sheets, loosing myself in the weeds. Thanks for the review, the <> XYZ inconsistency still throws me, not to mention the + or - start to A or C nuclear chains.

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlref10
I think this may be a draft final; on the other hand, I always make mistakes, so If you'll be so kind, again, please find fault.  

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Jan 20, 2019 8:40 pm

Much cleaner. I like it.

Although...

S()

Why does it have the parentheses? It is confusing because they refer to a multiplication group. I think you are trying to show that it needs a number after it, maybe use the character i in italics, and then state that i must be 1 to 6 inclusive in the description. I would normally use N, but that is also a language token.

Nuclear chains ...

Remove the : as it is not used to create nuclear chains, only particle chains which can be used in a nuclear chain. It is a bit confusing, but the nuclear chain is taking lower level entities and creating a chain out of them. So the : is not really a part of the nuclear chain, but of the particle chain inside of it.

There is some inconsistency in the headings.  The first one uses a : to separate the heading from the description, but none of the others do. That is because : is a token of the language and it would be confusing to use for this purpose too. Maybe separate the heading from the description and put the description on a line underneath the heading, in a slightly smaller font.

If you want, I will convert the above version into HTML which will be a lot easier to manipulate. Then we can play with it to get it right. When we are happy with it, you can create the final image. I can give you access to the AML BitBucket repository, if you want, so that we can work on the HTML version. Even though I will publish the HTML version, I also want to provide a link to the image as that will be better for printing, should the user want to do that.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 21, 2019 1:38 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlref11
Latest w corrections:
1. Corrected “S() - Why does it have the parentheses?”. Replaced () consistently with #.
2. Corrected “Nuclear chains ...Remove the : ” by adding the word “Operator” – in two places.
3. Corrected more than one incorrect Carousel spellings.
4. Several formatting changes.
5. Now that I look at it I see a : in Particle types:.

If you want, I will convert the above version into HTML which will be a lot easier to manipulate. Then we can play with it to get it right.
Ok. I'm surprised to hear that it's easier to deal with as an HTML file; I guess you're referring to the image. Of course I used excel, I could export it as a text or pdf file if you'd like.

Please correct Beyllium spelling in Element Information.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Jan 21, 2019 5:24 pm

Ok, I thought you were just editing the images. HTML would still be better than Excel, as it is meant for displaying data, where-as Excel is meant for processing data. There are a lot more options, and better ways, to style the way it looks, if you know a little CSS. It is a bit harder to generate an image from though.

S#. 2<=#<=6

should be 1<=#<=6

I'm wondering if the descriptions in the section headings can be removed. The only one that I think is needed is the first, Particle types. However, that section could be re-arranged to work better without it by creating a table like this:

SymbolTypeExample
PProtonP, P3, P5
NNeutronN, N2, N3
EElectronE, E1, E6
Maybe some of the other sections could use a similar format.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 21, 2019 7:59 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlref12
You are a tough reviewer, here's what appears to be a new draft final.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:23 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlref13
I immediately see things - after I post. Here's a small correction to the previous.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Mon Jan 21, 2019 8:44 pm

Airman wrote:You are a tough reviewer

Nobody knows that more than me  Very Happy

but...

I like it. So much more clear and concise. It is very close.

but...

Is it possible to center the P, N, E symbols so that they line up with the rest of them in the other sections? - Already fixed before I can even post about it!

Swap the URL and main heading around and make URL into: www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml

Missed word in Attachment position 'Can occupied' instead of 'Can be occupied'. Also thinking that instead of 'N, P or stack', it could be 'particle chain or proton stack'.

Last edited by Nevyn on Thu Jan 24, 2019 6:46 pm; edited 1 time in total (Reason for editing : Added in the quote as a new post was made as I writing this.)
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Mon Jan 21, 2019 11:17 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlref15

I think I've made all your requested corrections - except one, I'm easily confused.

The quoted URL lacks the http and www prefixes which is included with the pointer, the actual address appears to be https. I included those parts since it's easier to edit any of that out than to add the text in.

My apologies to everyone for the very repetitious images.    

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Jan 22, 2019 1:30 pm

Atomic Modeling Language - Page 2 Amlref16
I must admit, even though I like it, a very neat and clean reference sheet, not at all like my usual chaotic output - it pains me to post another very similar - repeat - image. With your permission, I'd like to go back and remove two or three of those prior images; or not. Just give me the sayso.

To clarify, this image is a coordinated "draft final" for a single page reference of AML. Even without any additional changes, it will still be "draft final" since the "final" document itself must be an HTML document, when additional changes will probably be made. The important thing is the accuracy and format of the information provided.

Repeat, thanks, I like it.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Tue Jan 22, 2019 5:09 pm

Don't worry about all of the images. It shows progress. Most of the posts wouldn't make sense anymore if you took them out. If you want to reduce the clutter on the page, you could swap them to thumbnails instead of full sized images. Then the reader can click on them to see the full version if they want, or skip by it with little thought. Personally, I wouldn't bother.

While I may create a HTML version, this image will still be available. A HTML version might contain a little bit more detail, so it could sit between this cheat-sheet and the specification. I envisage this as something that a user could print out and keep beside them for quick reference, where-as the HTML would be more of a 'I only know half of what I am doing' kind of thing. I don't really know at this stage.

I have been thinking about a new AML app that allows you to create a Periodic Table of AML. The user will select an element to edit, the app will show the available isotopes of that element. The user selects the one they want to edit or creates a new one. Then they can enter the AML for that isotope. I have had a play with creating a UI for it, but ran into some road-blocks. I'm trying to re-arrange the screen layout to give more space for the 3D model too.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Tue Jan 22, 2019 10:01 pm

Thanks for answering; I appreciate the bigger picture. Happy to be helping with fine subject matter.

I have been thinking about a new AML app that allows you to create a Periodic Table of AML. The user will select an element to edit, the app will show the available isotopes of that element. The user selects the one they want to edit or creates a new one. Then they can enter the AML for that isotope. I have had a play with creating a UI for it, but ran into some road-blocks. I'm trying to re-arrange the screen layout to give more space for the 3D model too.

I believe I agree. I would say, if you’re happy with AML, you have no choice, you should have the AML for all the elements/isotopes. Giving the user access to all the elements/isotopes to play with is a great way for AML to grow.

Separately, the Periodic Table is either a list, or outdated table. I imagine the Periodic Table you developed way back when might also make a nice User Interface.

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Wed Jan 23, 2019 6:42 pm

Yeah, I thought about using that periodic table as a start. The user could click on the element they want to edit and it will move to the editor. But I think I want something that is a single app. Makes it easier to switch between elements and isotopes.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Feb 10, 2019 4:50 am

Periodic Table of AML

I've whipped up another app to extend AML into a full table. Not only can you write an AML expression for each element, you can even write AML for each isotope of each element. It comes ready-to-go with all known isotopes, you just need to add the AML to complete the table. You can save and load the table to/from your local file system. It is stored in JSON format so you can look at it, even edit it, in any text editor.

This app is a bit more complex than the other language apps, but I don't want to write too much about it so that I can see if it explains itself or not.

https://www.nevyns-lab.com/mathis/app/aml/table.html
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by LongtimeAirman Sun Feb 10, 2019 12:23 pm

Just select which element you want to edit, choose one of the available isotopes, and enter an AML expression.
Ok, I've got the Periodic Table of AML in front of me but all I see an empty display. Selecting anything from the element and isotope pull down menus only changes the element name and proton/neutron counts listed - but no element/isotope or its AML appears. Am I expected to enter the AML code first? If so, why have pull-downs?

Worse, from this display, there's no help and there's no AML code examples. I tried to reload the page to see the specification again so I can could copy some code to begin with, but the reload didn't include the intro information with spec link nor a way to get to it. I had to edit the url to get it back to the start intro, or start again in a different browser.

What did I miss?  

LongtimeAirman
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Nevyn Sun Feb 10, 2019 5:58 pm

I think what you missed is the word edit. This is not an app that will give you all of the elements. It allows you to create a periodic table. You define the structure of the elements and save it into the table. Then you can save to whole periodic table so that you can work on it again later.

I've added a message dialog that pops up if there is no AML for the selected isotope. That helps to let the user know that they have to enter in the expression. I fear it will get a bit annoying, but don't see another way at the moment.

I also added a button to show the initial dialog again.

The reason the initial dialog didn't show up when you pressed the in-app reload button is because that button records the selected element, isotope and current AML expression to the URL. If any of those parameters are found on the URL, then it will not show the tutorial. This is because it assumes that if you are going to a specific element/isotope, then you don't need the reminder of how to use the app.
Nevyn
Nevyn
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post by Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down

Page 1 of 2 1, 2  Next