Miles Mathis' Charge Field
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

OnePlus 8 Pro can see through thin black plastic and fabric

Go down

OnePlus 8 Pro can see through thin black plastic and fabric Empty OnePlus 8 Pro can see through thin black plastic and fabric

Post by Ciaolo Mon May 18, 2020 11:09 am

Hello!

I like tech, and while being the most critical to it (example: I hated Facebook since day 1), I'm always interested in learning what people have invented and how tools are being used.

Lately I found out that one of the latest Android smartphones, the OnePlus 8 Pro, has an infrared sensitive camera that apparently can "see through" some materials: thin black plastic and fabric.

I watched a video about this from one of the Youtube channels I follow and it's really interesting. You can just do a research if you want to read an article, there are many. It appears that based on the plastic thinness, that camera can capture IR light from beyond. The guy in the video filmed some remote controls, and also tried to hide a normal box below his black t-shirt and the box could be seen, blurry, if the box was in direct contact with the fabric.

How to read this phenomenon? I can think about IR light, which is not only emitted by the camera mechanism, but massively present on Earth in general, so no problem there. Regarding the material, black is just the absence of visible light, not the absence of all light. We can have green transparent lenses that let through all green light and block everything else. We can expect to have lenses that let IR light through and nothing else. We'd see them as black plastic, but an IR lens can see through it.

How can an object like that work? It has to be composed of the right material in the right density, so that the photons that go through it are between a certain range, all the other photons just interact with it in various ways (channeling, bouncing, pushing etc). It could be a coincidence that many black plastic objects are made of materials that offer this, but I'm sure it's not. I'm not an electronic manufacturer so I don't know what materials are being used, but I expect a strong correlation between the needed efficiency in materials and their capability of letting IR light through.

About the fabric, I don't see why chemical materials couldn't have the same properties, but it's an uneven surface and so you can see only a blurry image of what's directly touching the fabric. As if you cover something in a colored nylon fabric (nylon normally is transparent).

Did you hear about this? What do you think?

Ciaolo

Back to top Go down